Sunday, November 23, 2008

Ironically

Michelle, at three, likes to try to write her name and she can almost do it.  Almost.  In the last week or so I have seen all sorts of versions--Micelle, Mihelle, Mihcelle--but there is always something wrong with it.  Nothing big, just negligible little stuff.  

Today after church I saw Michelle on her tummy in our row, obviously writing something.  In a book.  Not our book.  I picked up speed as these details sank in, and she caught sight of me coming.  Donning a brisk, business-like air, she closed the cover and patted what was clearly in her mind a job well done...as indeed it was.  "Michelle"--for the very first time with all its letters in order--is now inscribed neatly in the front of one of our church's hymnals.   

3 comments:

Namma said...

This Namma would be very happy to buy that book. Just let me know how much it is. Thanks for a darling story.

Mama's House said...

Or, I would appreciate opening that book inchurch and finding your additional note saying this was written by a very diligent three year old Michelle Roise. She will be notable.

Anonymous said...

In Christ we are perfected...what better to place to 'perfectly' write her name than in a hymnal giving glory to God for our 'perfected' lives :) It is a much sweeter story than the one this 'old' grandma has ...spilling communion wine in the hymnal of a sweet young man who kindly loaned me his hymnal when we visited Moscow! :) Susie I hope you can acquire that hymnal ... I would love such a hymnal :)
What happens to a heart between motherhood and grandma-hood is delightful !!
Love, Mrs M