Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Not a funny conversation particularly, but...

Some of the Grands may like it as a sort of marker of progress.

For about two or three months Peter has been reading the Little House series aloud to us. I remember pieces of it from years ago, but not much--and incidentally, what a fun read. Much better than the TV series. Anyway, today Inge mentioned that she would like to visit one of Mary and Laura's houses. Especially, she said, the house on Silver Lake.

Me: Why that one?
Inge, smiling reminiscently: Oh, just because. It sounded so pretty, with the roses and the fairy ring...
Me (and I have never been noted for my memory): Oh. I thought that one was at Plum Creek. Because that was the time Grace got lost, wasn't it?
Inge: But don't you remember? Ma and Pa were fighting their way through the slough grass that day.

This was a clincher, because the slough grass was on Silver Lake, as we both knew. Inge was right. And I thought that was pretty good, because it meant she was recalling a minor detail from about three books ago. Just then Nelly piped up:

I make a mee! (a "B")
Inge, inspecting the paper: Yes, she did. (And then, amused:) It's a "B" with a long tail.

Nelly brought me the paper, and she was able to point out a very nice, albeit backwards, "B" with, yes, a longish tail. Not bad for two.

No comments: